Gwen’s Easter Buns
Makes: 16-18 buns
Cooking and Preparation time: 2 hours
1 tbsp compressed or cake yeast
½ cup sugar
1½ cups milk
1 egg, beaten
620g flour, sifted
1 cup mixed fruit
½ tsp cinnamon,
½ tsp allspice
½ tsp ginger
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons water
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Mix yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Melt butter in saucepan, add milk and egg. Add warm liquids to yeast. Stir in 500g flour. Mix until smooth, beat well. Cover and allow to rise until double in size (around about an hour) in warm place.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Stir in sugar, fruit, spices and salt. Turn onto floured board. Knead in 120g remaining flour. Divide into 16-18 buns, quickly knead each one into a smooth ball.
- Place onto a greased baking tray about 2cm apart. Cover and allow to rise until double in size. Bake in hot oven for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Glaze buns as soon as they are removed from the oven.
Read our Easter Entertaining blog for some wine and food pairing ideas for all your Easter meals.